Saturday, August 15, 2009

Finished: Alice in a Pink Wonderland Tote

I had actually made this on Tuesday when Brett had a late start at work and I woke up earlier than usual to get some sewing time in, but it's only now that I got around to taking photos. I'm addicted to making tote bags now! They have become my most favorite thing to sew! The newest one to add to my soon-to-be-growing collection is this darling Alice in Wonderland Japanese fabric on a pink background, which I think looks very Harajuku-esque. I used the pink canvas that I had dyed last month for the body of the tote unstead of the natural color canvas. Unlike the apples and pears design, I had to use a bigger piece of fabric for this tote. The size of the pattern and the repeat doesn't really allow for smaller samples, so I decided to just cover the entire front of the tote with the Alice fabric. I don't know if I'll ever do that again, unless the contrasting fabric is a solid color or close to it. I really didn't like how "messy" it looked at the top when I had to topstitch the opening and secure the straps. To me, the stitching is way too noticeable and way too much in general to do on a print like this. I didn't take a photo of the topstitching, I really didn't want to show the "mess". According to Brett you can't tell, he thinks I'm just being overly picky. He's probably right, but I still won't take a photo of that part!

On the brighter side, I figured out an easier, faster, and cleaner way of doing the topstitching and sewing the strap ends down. By the time I got to the last strap end I no longer needed to refer to the stitching diagram that I had sketched out on a Post-it that's stuck to the wall in front of my sewing machine. I'm a dork, I know. But hey, it saves me time from having to remember which direction to sew to first!

I never did re-dye the fabric. The original plan was to sew the project that I had in mind for this fabric and then re-dye it (the dyeing fiasco is still fresh in my mind!). But after cutting out the tote pieces I took a second look and decided that I quite liked the mottled look the botched dye job had done. So I kept it as is for this tote. Even though this canvas is the same weight as the canvas that I had used for the Apples & Pears tote, the dye had broken down the fibers a bit and had made it thinner and less rigid. Which made my serger very happy. I also got the chance to use those cones of hot pink serger thread that I had bought at Dressew a while back. So yummy!

I used the brown polypro webbing again, rather than the black that I also have on hand, in copious amounts. The black was too bold and harsh against the Alice print, and the brown just happened to compliment it. I think it's cause there's a lot of brown within the print already.

I can't wait to use this bag now! I think I should take the wee one out for a walk and do some shopping...make that window shopping...

3 comments:

  1. I love that fabric. It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments on my blog. I find that cupcake recipes that use self raising flour always have nice dome tops then ones that use plain flour and baking soda. All aussie recipes tend to use self raising flour but I find whenever I use an american recipe they use plain flour and baking soda and they never come out as nice on top. If you want I can email you the recipe I used for these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kat! Just like your comic book fabric that you used for your skirt (which is great btw!) I was a little nervous about cutting into this fabric. I'm still kicking myself for not getting more of it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...