Saturday, March 14, 2009

Criblife

Another project done! Boo yeah! How exciting is this?? Despite having pretty much no time or opportunities to get any sewing done (due to a very demanding, high-need baby and crappy neighbours that claim I'm being too loud after 10pm...my prime sewing time!) I managed to churn out a sewing project.

After taking the photo of the soft baby blocks that I made for my wee one, as mentioned in the previous post, I decided that I wanted to do another project using the Michael Miller prints. I had spent an entire day thinking about what I could do, but was coming up empty (I'll admit though, I was more pre-occupied with entertaining the aforementioned wee one than thinking about what to make) so I Googled "Michael Miller First Sight projects". I was immediately taken to a blog by the kids at Michael Miller themselves! And they had a whole slew of tutorials using the First Sight prints! Jackpot! Although, I was sad to discovered that I wasn't the only one that had the so-called brilliant idea to use the collection to make baby blocks...the blog also had a tutorial on how to make baby blocks too. Apparently they had designed the First Sight collection with babies in mind...so of course baby blocks would be high on that list of things to make with the fabric collection!

Anyways, one of the tutorials caught my eye and after much hinting, Brett took the little one out to Home Depot for some male bonding time and gave me the wonderful opportunity to sew for a few hours. In those few hours I made this:

What is it? It's a pocket organizer for the crib. Perfect timing too. The mobile that used to hang over the crib scared the little one so much that we had to take it down and have yet to replace it with anything. Then the Fisher Price aquarium toy that the little one likes ran out of battery juice, and we have yet to get around to buy fresh batteries (does that mean we're lazy parents?). So for a while there the munchkin had nothing to look at but bare crib bars. Poor thing!

Again, I was a few prints short in making this project. I tried using the other prints in the collection, but it didn't look as nice. And again I had to use my really nice Sevenberry striped fabric and that black and white polka dot fabric (I better make that apron soon before I run out of fabric to make one!) to complete this project. To my surprise I even had the extra wide red bias tape needed in my stash (there was a time back in my first year of fashion school where I was putting bias tape on everything and I couldn't stop making my own tape). It's been quite a while since I've used bias tape and I can't even remember the last time I used the stuff around such rounded corners, so my corners are absolutely hideous in my eyes. I didn't bother to fix it though, considering that my sewing time was limited. But all in all, I think my pocket organizer turned out great! Most importantly, the little one loves it! During the day when I'm putting a load of laundry in the wash or something and need to put him in his crib for a few minutes, he'll lie there staring at it. So I guess mommy did good!

I still have fabric left over and don't know what to do with it. The other projects listed on the Michael Miller blog are cute, but are not things that I know the little one would use. I might make the pillow...and I'm still hoping to be able to make a quilt, but am not sure if I have enough fabric for that. Also, the more I look at the First Numbers print, the more I like it...it's too bad that I don't have much of it left and everywhere I look it's sold out already. I just might have to make an apron out of it. Or horde it and wait for the perfect project for it. In the meantime, I guess I'll be thinking of things I can make with the remaining fabric.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...